Monday, September 17, 2007

Impulse Shopping

Tonight I decided I must have a camel. Adrian and I were watching The Mummy and Rachel Weisz kept having these bonding moments with the camels and I was jealous. I said we should get a camel. Adrian said camels can't survive in Utah because of the cold. I thought this was a curious argument, being that we live in California, but I let it slide because I wanted to verify that camels can, in fact, survive in very cold weather. Else why the heavy wool and thick skin? Naturally I went to the source of all truth and wisdom, Google.com.

Evidently camels are as fine in cold weather as they are in the heat. I found an entire website dedicated to camel breeders, outfitters and other camel-ish businesses and resources. Who knew? I was delighted to discover that the only camel dairy in the country is in San Diego county! So conveniently accessible! I don't know if these people actually drink or sell camels' milk but they do make soap from it. I was crestfallen to see that their online camel soap store is not yet operational. Obviously these simple folk are not in tune with the needs of the impulse shopper. That would have been an order for one of each flavor of camel soap for every female member of my family at Christmas, sight unsmelled. I am very anxious to make a day trip down there to meet the camels and ride them and make a solemn oath to buy one as soon as I have the land to accomodate it. After all, the horses I don't have yet will be very lonely without a camel to keep them company.

The camels at the dairy are disposed to receive the public only a few days a year. Apparently the life of a dairy camel is quite rigorous. Either that or they are discreet animals and shy away from the public eye. The next Visiting Day will be on November 25th, which is a tight day for us.
I must tell Adrian to cancel our visit to the zebra farm.

Here are a few of the sites I bookmarked while researching some brilliant ideas I have had in recent months, generally in the late night hours:

http://www.cameldairy.com/
http://www.miniatureequine.com/fancoral/index.html http://www.randdranch.com/index.html
http://www.huskamillenniumacres.com/

Now look me in the eye and tell me you don't wish you had your very own wallaby.

2 comments:

Nortorious said...

I once convinced my father that I wanted to buy an elephant. A boy elephant, because they are cheaper as they do not have the potential to give birth to more elephants.
I do have my very own wallaby: Dax still carrying our baby weight.

Rynna said...

Sweet of Dax to haul that load for you. What a help that must be.