Thursday, November 15, 2007

Phobia/Mania/Philia

I was inspired by Nor's post about phobias to look up manias and philias. So many delights that must be shared! Please share yours.

Favorite manias:

bruxomania: compulsion for grinding teeth
gamomania: obsession with issuing odd marriage proposals (holla if you've been a recipient of one)
onychotillomania: compulsive picking at the fingernails
rhinotillexomania: compulsive nose picking
sophomania: delusion that one is incredibly intelligent
tomomania: irrational predilection for performing surgery or cutting things

I also noted a preponderance of manias of a certain type:

nymphomania: excessive or crazed sexual desire
andromania: nymphomania
cytheromania: nymphomania
hysteromania: nymphomania
aphrodisiomania: abnormal sexual interest
erotomania: abnormally powerful sex drive
gynaecomania: abnormal sexual obsession with women (the greeks would have thought this was unsettling indeed)
satyromania: abnormally great male sexual desire; satyriasis

My favorite philias:

apodysophilia: feverish desire to undress
chasmophilia: fondness of nooks, crevices and crannies
gynotikolobomassophile: one who nibbles on women’s earlobes
peristerophilia: love of pigeons, pigeon-collecting
pogonophilia: love of beards
turophilia: love of cheese

3 comments:

Nortorious said...

I'm terribly afflicted with Sophomania. Please prescribe an antidote.
I likey your shelfari. I want one, it would go well with my sophomania.

Rynna said...

get yourself a shelfari! i would like to see what people are reading. i must admit that some of my shelfari choices were informed by my own sophomania.

as far as i know there is no remedy for sophomania except maybe hanging out all the time with people who are smarter than you. this can be hard to do as these people may be difficult to find, if indeed they exist.

Alex said...

That's a lot of manias. Glad to see you posted shelfari!