The colors of my new people. I always did like red.
I am making a slow conquest of all of Scandinavia, apparently, and can no longer mock anyone in that whole lilty-tongued sector.
There is something I like very much about being a Norwegian, and that is being able to claim Edvard Munch. The Scream was my favorite painting when I was an adolescent. Don't laugh at the cliché; it was very fitting. I have proof positive to that effect.

Me at 15 with my screaming friend. I was a true devotée.
I also discovered that one of my English lines dead-ends at a certain Ann Skeuse, and I thought that name so curious that I searched for its origin. Turns out it's most commonly an Irish name. If she is indeed Irish, she is the lone Irish figure in all of our genealogical records to date. And here I was, thinking we were Scots with all our Urquharts and Findlaters and Lethams and on and on! If I find one Welshman somewhere I'll have taken over all the UK.
I'm a fan of the Irish, if for no other reason than that they produced the Pogues, so more power to them and I'm pleased to claim an Irish ancestor, but I never saw it coming. As a matter of fact, I think I'll listen to Rum, Sodomy and the Lash right now in honor of my happy discovery.
In a few short weeks of amateur research I've been broadsided with two revelations about my ancestry, the summation of whose message is that it would be historically impossible for me to be any whiter. Who knew. Also that at least some of my people could not spell, but I have to let that one lie because now they belong to me and I'm glad to have them.
3 comments:
Welcome to the club!!! Ms. Rynna, since you are the expert, I was wondering if you could help me with something. Our ward is doing baptisms for the dead in December, so I have 'till then to get some names together. Any advice?
Also, I would really really really love to know what Pat's true bloodline is. Thomsen is the name of the family who adopted Pat's Dad. I so want to know more about Pat and Harrison's "birth" blood before we lose Pat's Dad. Which, btw, could happen at any moment. He's the quadruple bypass king. Help! How would you breach this? Any thoughts? I think it's a pretty touchy subject.
Someday you're going to find out you're polish.
And glorious shorts. Glorious.
it was the 90s, and i was smashing. i have other px with t-shirts tucked into those shorts, and similar.
miss alex, i would just hop onto new.familysearch. org to find names. it's the updated church site and it's hooked into the temple records database. you have to register with your church membership number. once you get yourself plugged into that thing, you follow each family line back and it flashes a little temple at you where there is ordinance work that needs to be done. then you print out the list and take it with you to the temple. it's fantastic.
i haven't run into the adoption situation yet in my own family, but adrian is very touchy about his own birth father. as he saw me getting more into the family research we were able to talk about how even though he doesn't have any relationship with his biological father, he is responsible for all of his ancestors in that line by blood. as far as he knows he's the only one who might be looking after them. there are always many more people involved in a family than just the generation that you don't get along with. having said that, adrian came around to this himself gradually. i was relieved because i didn't want to have to do the research behind his back.
i don't know what the laws are about adopotion records if all parties involved have died. that would be interesting to find out.
Post a Comment